Key Takeaway: Simply simmer low-sodium soy sauce, water, apple cider vinegar, Stevia, minced garlic, ginger, and a dash of pepper flakes. Then, stir in a cornstarch-water mix to thicken. 😋
Did you know that teriyaki sauce is one of the most popular sauces in Japanese cuisine? 😮 The word “teriyaki” is a blend of two Japanese words: “teri,” which means to shine, and “yaki,” which means to grill. This refers to the shiny, glazed look the sauce gives when used in grilling. 😊
Teriyaki is a sweet and savory sauce that goes well with many dishes, such as chicken, beef, salmon, tofu and vegetables. 🍽 But if you’re trying to lose weight or eat healthier, you might be wondering how to make teriyaki sauce without adding too many calories or sugar. 🤔 Don’t worry, I have a solution for you! 😃
In this blog post, I’m going to show you how to make a low calorie teriyaki sauce recipe that is delicious and easy to make. 😋 You only need a few ingredients and a saucepan. Here’s what you need:
- 1 cup of low sodium soy sauce. Believe me, we won’t miss the extra salt. 😉
- 1/2 cup of water. H2O, always a life-saver! 💦
- 2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar. It’s good for you in so many ways!
- 2 tablespoons of sweetener. We’re going with a natural sweetener like Stevia to keep the calories in check.
- 2 teaspoons of minced garlic and 1 teaspoon of minced ginger. Because where’s the fun without these two? 🧄🌿
- A dash of red pepper flakes for a kick. A tiny firecracker for your sauce! 🌶️
- 1 tablespoon of cornstarch mixed with 2 tablespoons of cold water. Our magical thickening agent. 🎩
Now let’s get cooking! 🍳
- Start by mixing the soy sauce, water, apple cider vinegar, sweetener, garlic, ginger, and red pepper flakes in a 🍳 saucepan. Put it over medium heat, and let’s get those ingredients all friendly and mingling.
- When your sauce starts simmering, stir in the cornstarch mixture. This is the secret sauce for our sauce, so to speak. 😉 It’ll make our teriyaki sauce beautifully thick and glossy. 😉
- Keep stirring until it thickens up to your liking. See how simple that was? And I bet you’ve never seen a teriyaki sauce looking so fit and fabulous. 🌟
Now, you might be wondering, “But how does it taste?” Let me assure you, it’s absolutely 😋 delicious. You’ve got the same sweet, tangy, salty balance that makes teriyaki sauce a crowd pleaser, but without the extra calories.
As a weight loss coach, 👨💼 I recommend using this sauce sparingly and in moderation. It still contains some sugar and sodium, so don’t go overboard with it. But it’s definitely a better option than store-bought or restaurant teriyaki sauce, which can have a lot of added sugar, salt and preservatives. 🙅♂️
Before we wrap up, I want to know – what’s the first dish you’re planning to use this sauce with? Maybe your favorite veggie stir-fry? Or a grilled salmon, perhaps? Comment down below 💬 and let’s get a teriyaki party going! 🥳 👇